[SAARC-general] GMRS and FRS

Matthew Morris k5icr.ham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:22:06 PDT 2022

I like the idea of incorporating GMRS into the fold, as I agree that the FRS/GMRS services will likely see a good amount of use during a communications disruption.

As far as conducting a net under the auspices of FRS goes, that might prove to be challenging, as the typical utility of FRS equipment in my experience is to cover a small to medium size neighborhood.  Perhaps the better question would be whether or not there are any neighborhoods in town with enough ARES members & FRS users to hold a neighborhood FRS net and then relay information to a wider area GMRS net.

There are also technical issues to consider, as the FRS service is all narrowband while GMRS is able to use wideband on all but channels 8-14 (see the combined channel chart adopted in 2017: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart). While users of either bandwidth will still typically be able to hear one another, perceived audio levels would be an issue when there's a mismatch.

I know there are at least two working GMRS repeaters in town, one of which is at the SAARC Clubhouse and the other is downtown (on the Cactus Hotel building? - it's the REACT repeater). The repeater at the Clubhouse currently (we are actively working to secure a better site) doesn't offer great coverage for the Bluffs or areas generally northeast of ASU, so it might be worthwhile to reach out to the REACT group to get permission to use their repeater as well. I haven't seen any information online suggesting that the REACT repeater is open for general use. Getting clarification from them about this would go a long way to including GMRS in communications plans.

Long story short, I don't see any reason not to start including GMRS in our comms plans, particularly.

73,
Matthew K5ICR